uk.comp.home-networking

Re: new IPCONFIG reading, from router?

Subject: Re: new IPCONFIG reading, from router?
From: PeeGee
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:33:32 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.home-networking

Bernard Peek wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Guys,

Are we on to something here?  As follows:

1.  I deleted the Realtek Ethernet from the "Network Connections"
section in "Device Manager", then switched everything off, unplugged my
USB dial-up modem, plugged in the router, then switched on the computer,
and then ran IPCONFIG, and got the following:

C:\>ipconfig /all | more
Windows IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVID
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6A-B3-C7-9B
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.237.180
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

What do you make of the above, guys?

First, the card is installed. The drivers are working. So much for the good news.

The bad news is that the 169.254... address tells us that the card hasn't been able to find a DHCP server. Normally a router includes one. If we hadn't already found that the cable was connected I would have suspected that.

Based on Eddy's reluctance to experimentation and the fact that the Laptop connects OK both wireless and wired, I would expect a dhcp server to be present and active in the router. Expectation and real life do not always match, though :-(

More good news is that it's quite easy to deal with this.

What you need to do is to change the IP properties for the network connection. You need to give it a static IP address. Select that connection, right-click and select Properties.

Select the TCP/IP protocol line, right-click that and select Properties again. You will see a form with a radio button selected that says the card should get its IP address automatically. You need the other option, to specify a manual address. Enter the address 192.168.0.2, a net mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway address of 192.168.0.254.

I tend to use the alternate address option to set a fixed address - it's only really an advantage with laptops moving about (dhcp at work, fixed at home with address filtering), but I tend to use similar configurations in laptops and desktops :-)

Change the DNS Server entry too. Enter the addresses of your ISP's DNS servers. Enter the router's IP address as the third DNS server. After that everything should work.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
"Nothing should be able to load itself onto a computer without the knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able to be removed from a computer easily."