Re: Black box measurements

Subject: Re: Black box measurements
From: Palindrome
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:45:09 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.home-networking

Graham wrote:
"Palindrome" <me9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8foni.84695$38.25877@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a box with an aerial and a socket marked "LAN" - which appears to be one of these:

However, it has no label and no indication of default settings.

I have tried resetting it with a computer connected to the LAN port set to acquire an IP address.. no joy.

Is there a (free) tool that can maybe sniff out its MAC address and maybe even sniff out its IP address, assuming it has one?

Thanks Graham. Ideal.

That got me the MAC address. Nice package - I can see it coming in useful again!

The box is not actually sending out any higher protocol packets or responding to any -- (I've put it in the static IP map table).

Ah well, I'll sleep on it and try a few other things tomorrow.

Thanks again!