uk.comp.home-networking

Re: Black box measurements

Subject: Re: Black box measurements
From: Palindrome
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:45:09 GMT
Newsgroups: uk.comp.home-networking

Graham wrote:
"Palindrome" <me9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8foni.84695$38.25877@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I have a box with an aerial and a socket marked "LAN" - which appears to be one of these:

http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=2&prodID=8

However, it has no label and no indication of default settings.

I have tried resetting it with a computer connected to the LAN port set to acquire an IP address.. no joy.

Is there a (free) tool that can maybe sniff out its MAC address and maybe even sniff out its IP address, assuming it has one?

Etherereal.
http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#sec2

Thanks Graham. Ideal.

That got me the MAC address. Nice package - I can see it coming in useful again!

The box is not actually sending out any higher protocol packets or responding to any -- (I've put it in the static IP map table).

Ah well, I'll sleep on it and try a few other things tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Sue