ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

Subject: Re: refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?
From: Hal Burgiss
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:11:40 -0400
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  yes, yes, i know, we've had this dicsussion before but i just
> installed ubuntu 10.04 on a new laptop and, over five minutes ago, my
> two firefox sessions suddenly went grey and unresponsive and i know
> there was a simple solution in terms of deselecting a setting but i
> can't remember what it is, and it's still a bit aggravating that it
> happens in the first place -- that is, that firefox is suddenly
> waiting on some event for, literally, minutes.  weird.

I believe the setting to turn off the 'greyed out' visual queue stuff
is buried in Compiz somewhere.

The underlying cause is the FF is a very resource hungry application
and your system is not giving it the resources it needs to respond
"normally". Toggling that setting won't change that. Turning off
Compiz itself might help free up some resources (but never tried it).

--
Hal