ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Why apple is so popular

Subject: Re: Why apple is so popular
From: Knapp
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:38:52 +0100
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM, user1 <bqz69@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Talked to my son in usa to day.
>
> He said, that the main reason apple is so popular in USA is:
>
> 1. The hardware is very stable and has a very good quality without hardly
> any problems.
>
> 2. The Graphic is nice to look at.
>
> 3. Ease of use.
>
> 4. Very few viruses.
>
> So my conclusion is that linux is as good as apple except for the
> hardware, which are all kinds of mixed brands and qualities.
>
> My laptop (not apple) has been to be repaired twice.
>
> My son has had two laptops (not apple) discarded, and he i now using a
> netbook, which is hardly usable, everything is too small.
>
> So what is needed for the linux community is a very stable and good
> quality hardware which works together.
>
> Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it is an important subject.
>
> Please DO NOT make this a flame war, but think about it.
>
> I really want to make linux the BEST :-)

Sadly Ubuntu is not as stable as Apple and it is not as user friendly.
I just added a Wacom tablet to my computer. I have had all sorts of
problems with it. I, being a programmer, can overcome this but the
normal user? Other problems, my webcam will not work as well with
linux as with MS or Apple do to the company not writing software or
drivers for it and my Logitech multibutton mouse is a real pain to
make work with all the software(Yes the basic 3 buttons work), And
lets not even talk about sound. Linux is full of little problems like
this. It is a great system but it is not that newbie friendly. I think
that this, " remove the paper cuts" project is the right way to go and
should get a lot more attention!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.