ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Fw: Re: Karmic 9.10 new kernel BAD!

Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Karmic 9.10 new kernel BAD!
From: Leonard
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:05:24 -0600
Andrew Farris wrote:
On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 18:28 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Sorry guys.  Karl did provide the info but to me directly and not
copied the list.  I overlooked that fact when I read his email to me.

[snip]

         proprietary driver nvidia-glx-185

[snip]

         >>>  01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
         Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
No problem. Thanks for sending the info through.

For me:
         $ uname -r
         2.6.31-15-generic

and
         $ lshw -c display
           *-display
                product: RV630 [Radeon HD 2600XT]
                vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                [snip]
                configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
                [snip]

This is a fresh 64-bit install, and no issues with flickering screens
etc. Previously, this system was running an upgraded 9.10 32-bit, also
the -15 kernel with no issues... i just decided that I wanted to fully
utilize my 64-bit hardware, so I reformatted.

I did have an issue with my upgrade though that required me to purge my
old ATI drivers, and re-download them... maybe unrelated, but maybe not.

I think that is part of the Karmic buggabo. I have had to reinstall the nVidia proprietary driver and -15 kernel many times to stop an infernal low res issue on startup and it only helps for the first reboot. All this started for me when the last kernel, the -15 one, was upgraded which also had new nVidia proprietary drivers included. Prior to that upgrade, I was one of the few Karmic fresh install users that had zilch X window issues. I now also have the sound issue(none) using the 64 bit flashplugin. Things keep getting worse instead of better. Am looking forward to the next kernel or nVidia upgrade hoping for a fix. I'll probably take the other guys suggestion and install
the 190 nvidia driver before that happens.

--
Leonard
lenc5570@xxxxxxxxxxxxx