ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: 9.04 xorg badly broken

Subject: Re: 9.04 xorg badly broken
From: "Kevin O'Gorman"
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:31:19 -0700
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Leonard
Chatagnier<lenc5570@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BIG SNIP.
>> > What happens if you boot into recovery mode and run
>> xfix?
>>
>> No can do.  No such animal, as mentioned above.
>>
> Are you sure you are accessing recovery mode(single user) correctly? On a
> boot/reboot, you have to press escape before grub starts and select the
> recovery mode kernel entry from the list of available kernels to boot. It's
> the second entry for each installed kernel. let the system boot in recovery
> mode and you should eventually see a gui listing of 4 entries, the last of
> which is xfix. Select the xfix entry and continue booting.

It's a bit different for me.  Pressing escape before grub starts does
nothing, maybe because there's no boot manager before grub.  I have it
on the MBR, and it's first in line.  But yes, I start the second
kernel, and it is recovery mode.  But the menu I get does not match
this description.  Instead I get a character-mode menu UI (looks sort
of graphical, but does not respond
to a mouse, just arrow keys), with 6 options:
  1 resume   Resume normal boot
  2 clean      Try to make free space
  3 dpkg       Repair broken packages
  4 fsck        File system check
  5 grub       Update grub bootloader
  6 netroot    Drop to root shell prompt with networking

No xfix.

++ kevin

> I'm not totally sure if Jaunty has xfix in recovery mode as I haven't used it
> but can't think of a reason why it would not be.
> Let the list know if you followed the above general sequence or not.
>>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>> --
>> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD