Re: Transferring disks with partimage

Subject: Re: Transferring disks with partimage
From: Fred Roller
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:09:54 -0400
On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 06:35 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > Karl,
> > Thanks, however, it has to be transferred to another system and as
> far
> > as I know does dd not work over a network.
> > Joep
> >
>         As I think about it this must be the case because you can easy
> have the
> case of going from /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda1 which will not fly. Sorry.

DD will work over the network.  Ensuring neither drive is mounted, the
command would look something like this:

dd if=/dev/sda1 |ssh user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx "dd of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4028

sda1 = whatever source device
sdb1 = whatever destination drive

if you want to do the whole drive then drop the numbers (sda ->sdb)

this takes awhile (5-25 Mb/s is the range I have seen).
Hope this helps.  Check the archives, we just discussed this subject and
proceedures for both dd and rsync are there.

Hope this helps.

Fred R.

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: