ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDmp967UMds

Subject: Re: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDmp967UMds
From: Leonard Chatagnier
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:07:06 -0700 PDT
--- Michael Zoet <Michael.Zoet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Just to be certain here, are you running 7.10
> amd64
> >> or are you running a
> >> 32 bit version? Also if you installed
> >> flashplugin-nonfree from reps it
> >> probably didn't work and you will want to
> download
> >> the tar.gz file from
> >> adobe and run the installation program, making
> sure
> >> you
> >> specify /usr/lib/firefox as the install path.
> >>

> > lchata@ubuntu64:/etc/network$ uname -a
> > Linux ubuntu64 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12
> > 02:46:46 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Looks like 64 bit. I have flashplugin-nonfree,
> > Version: 9.0.48.0.2+really0ubuntu12.2,
> automatically
> > installed and it says "This package will download
> the
> > Flash Player from Adobe." It is from the
> > multiverse/web section.
> > Apparently, I don't have the Adobe Flash Player
> > installed though as an aptitude search doesn't
> show
> > anything. I'm really new on the 64 bit OS, so
> please
> > be specific on what I need to do.
> > Thanks,
> Before you do something bad: since Ubuntu 7.10
> (Gutsy) you can install
> the flashplayer-nonfree package without problems on
> a 64 bit system. I
> have several 64 bit Desktop Systems running and
> since Gutsy no
> problems with flash and firefox. (But there were
> some errors in the
> past with the Adobe flash plugin CRC checksum. Adobe
> made a new
> version available and so the checksum for the
> install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz saved in the
> Gutsy package was
> incorrect.) But an updated version should be already
> available. So it
> is enough to install the flash-nonfree package with
> your favourite
> package manager. Nothing to wonder about 32 bit
> libraries and so on.
> The package manager takes care of this! The
> flashplugin-nonfree will
> connect to the site of Adobe, download the
> flashplayer for Linux and
> install it. That's why you will not see the Adobe
> Flash Player in your
> package list.

I've already applied the official fix on
from the important notice(but not the second important
notice) purged and installed again
"flashplugin-nonfree" then revisited the subject uri
and still get the blank(white) player screen and no
error messages or popups. The uri page loads fine but
the player screen just doesn't do anthing. Perhaps I
need to relogin or reboot. I'll do that after sending
this reply and give notice if it loads the player.
Thanks for the help,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@xxxxxxxxxxxxx