ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Howto restore user choice in Hardy media handling

Subject: Re: Howto restore user choice in Hardy media handling
From: Jonathan Hudson
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:53:32 +0000
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:03:27 +0000
JosephK <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10:09 Mon 24 Mar     , Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> > In Gutsy, the user could choose which application opened video DVDs and
> > photo media, in gnome-volume-manager.
> >
> > In Hardy, the applications (totem, f-spot) appear to be fixed by
> > Nautilus.
> >
> > Anyone care to explain how to restore user choice in media handling?
> >

> Possibly a bug?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/f-spot/+bug/191475

Thanks for the clue;  --- of course I should have searched for f-spot
bugs rather than nautilus :-)

Appears somewhat suboptimal to me; previously one could just enter the
command in the g-v-m dialogue. Now one has to:

* Find the .desktop (probably for both the app you don't want (to find-
the correct mime types)) as well as the one you want;

* Edit the (system?) desktop file;

* Run two commands:
        sudo update-desktop-database
        sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

* Hope ones favourite app doesn't get upgraded so it all breaks again.

Think I preferred the old way, unless someone has a better idea.

-jh