ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Subject: Re: Printer invisible thru USB-switch
From: Kristian Rink
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:44:14 +0100
Am Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:40:40 +0100
schrieb Tom Rausner <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> I still haven't got my USB-switch to work in spite of all the good
> advice from this list. I've been doing som googleing on the internet,
> and it seems that this switch has been proven to work with SOME linux
> versions (as far as I can see; SuSe and Debian). So i thoughed 'why
> not Ubuntu?

That's the ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH , right? Out of curiosity: What kind
of device is this? Is this really a "switch" (as in "ethernet switch"),
or is it merely an USB hub to connect more devices to your computer?

> There is no software involved coz it's plug and pray, so that can't be
> the problem. Does anyone have an explanation to why it's transparent
> to Windozer but not to Ubuntu. Maby that would give me some ideas on
> how to eliminate the problem.

Can you please

1. connect the device to your machine, and
2. report back to this list, providing us with the output of, say,
"lsusb" and "dmesg" commands?

Cheers & all the best,
Kristian

--