ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Distributed network RAID

Subject: Re: Distributed network RAID
From: Joachim Schrod
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:09:12 +0100
Jason wrote:
> couple of options in easiest to most difficult order.
>
> if don't mind having access to a filesystem on only one node at a time,
> just use NFS to mount the filesystem.
>
> rsync.  Run it every minute between the two hosts.

This is impossible in practice for any decently-sized filesystem.
rsync needs too long to scan the filesystems and hogs too much CPU
power.

His best bet are probably cluster file systems, as you mentioned.
My experience is from HPC clusters; and I can say that the only
really stable ones are IBM's GPFS and Lustre. Oh yes, and don't use
Lustre if you need file locking. GFS has not been sufficiently
stable in our setups -- but then, this was with a few dozen file
server nodes in a cluster of several hundred compute nodes. Maybe
it's stable enough with just two home systems.

In any case, this won't be a plug-and-play experience.

        Joachim