ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: GRUB problem every time I reboot

Subject: Re: GRUB problem every time I reboot
From: Paul
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:19:44 -0500

On Dec 12, 2007 1:12 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Op wo, 12-12-2007 te 08:46 -0500, schreef Paul:
> Every time I reboot, I have to go through the whole supergrub CD
> process.  It's a dual boot machine with Windows XP on a separate hard
> drive.  What can I do to fix this?

It is not quite clear what you mean, that may be the reason you get no
answers. If you mean your pc boots from a live CD in your cdrom drive,
it is meant to. You will just have to remove the cd.

If you mean you want to have Windows XP start as default and not Ubuntu,
you will have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and make XP your default
there.

If you mean something else, please explain.

I just installed Ubuntu...I dual boot with Windows XP.  Ever since booting to windows the first time the computer gets stuck in an endless reboot cycle.

The only way to get out of it is to boot to a supergrub cd and type:

root (hd2,0)
setup(hd2,0)
chainloader +1
boot

at the grub prompt.

Then, I do what I need to do, reboot the machine and repeat the whole process over again.  The grub menu is not there for me from which to choose an OS to boot.