ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

Subject: Re: Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?
From: Neil Cherry
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:05:14 -0500
Stevica Kurcubic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this old computer and i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 server on it. I
> would like to add some old PCI card there and it can only work with
> 2.4 kernel. What will be the easiest way to install kernel 2.4 there.
> Security and updates are not the issue. This computer does not have
> access to internet, so the only thing important is to have kernel 2.4
> up and running.

A rather strange request, rather than add to the current argument,
let me add my opinion that you'll be hard pressed to get a 2.4
kernel running under Ubuntu. It's kind of like replacing the
basement of an apartment building. A lot of things are built on
top of the kernel and run through it.

What device is it that doesn't work with the current 2.6 kernel?

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies