ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Computer won't restart if turn off!

Subject: Re: Computer won't restart if turn off!
From: Ari Torhamo
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:39:01 +0300
On ti, 2007-09-18 at 14:38 -0400, megan wrote:
> Thank you for your answer but how do I check it with memtest86? I tried
> in the terminal it didn't do anything. Could you be more explicit
> please. I am completely new to Ubuntu and have still some trouble to
> understand when it's not precise enough
> Thank you
> Megan

Hi,

Just put your Ubuntu CD into the optical drive of your computer and
restart the machine. It will now boot from the CD (assuming your BIOS is
set so - if not, come back for more advice) and show a start menu, which
has an option "memtest" or "memory test" (or something close to that).
When you select that, Memtest will start automatically. You will then
see something like this on your screen:

http://www.memtest.org/pics/i875-big.gif

You don't have to do anything but just let the program do the testing.
The test procedure includes several tests and will take several hours if
not interrupted. You may leave the computer alone at will to do the
testing. You can stop the test at any time by pressing "Esc" or reseting
the computer. When all tests are done, the program will start from the
beginning. So eventually you will want to stop it :-)

When all the tests are passed once, the number zero in the "Pass" column
will change to one. The next column to the right tells the amount of
errors found. If it says zero, no errors were found.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo