Re: Howto get more -dbg packages?

Subject: Re: Howto get more -dbg packages?
From: "Michael R. Head"
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:50:54 -0400
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 15:32 +0000, Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that some packages have a sister package, which includes some
> debugging informations. They have the suffix '-dbg' appended to the package
> name.
> Now I need this information for a package, where no -dbg sister
> package exists in the 'standard' repositories. (I need to debug a binary
> from that package).
> Thus my Question: Does an official ubuntu repository exists, which has
> for 'all' packages -dbg packages available?

Check out this repository:
deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/ddebs edgy main universe

(it's got -dbgsym packages for just about everything in main and

> And, can someone point me to some documentation how to create the -dbg
> packages for your own software?

If you want to see how to build -dbg packages for your own packages,
check out a package in the repository that has a -dbg package (such as
libgtk2.0-0-dbg), do an apt-get source libgtk2.0-0-dbg and check out
what's in the debian/rules and such. You should see how the -dbg package
is generated.

> Best Regards
> Georg Sauthoff
Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>