On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 12:32 -0600, Rick Greep wrote:
> Looks like I forgot an issue...
> After the system was running, I kept getting errors "[: 6: ==:
> operator", when running scripts I had written for Dapper. For example, when
> checking if a variable contains a string: "if [ "$0" == "stuff" ]", I would
> get the unexpected operator.
> It turns out Edgy uses the Dash shell instead of the Bash shell. Not
> familiar with Dash and having a ton of scripts I would need to rewrite, I
> changed the symbolic link for sh in /bin from "sh -> dash" to "sh -> bash".
> Problem solved, I'll check out Dash later.
If you're planning to use bash extensions to the shell language in your
scripts, you should probably consider putting "#!/bin/bash" at the top
of your scripts rather than "#!/bin/sh".
That said, it sounds like you found a good hack that is working well for
you and avoided the need to correct the scripts themselves.
Dash was chosen because it implements the POSIX standard /bin/sh
language with high fidelity and high performance (particularly during
the boot process), so switching /bin/sh to point back to /bin/bash will
cause your boot to run a little longer:
hope this helps,
> Take care,
> > All,
> > I know this is old news but I wanted to share my experience with my
> > upgrade from Dapper (6.06) to Edgy (6.10).
> > My platform is a PowerBook G4, 166Mhz PPC processor with an Airport
> > BCM4306 wireless card.
> > According to the official upgrade
> > document, "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades", it is suggested
> > you should should use the Update-Manager to perform the update. Others have
> > been saying to not use this method and to go with the alternate apt-get
> > approach. Since my system did not seem to have update-manager and I am more
> > comfortable with apt-get, the decision was easy. I wrote a very quick
> > script containing the suggested apt-get commands in the upgrade guide,
> > added default yes (--yes) to the apt-get commands and fired it up.
> > My first challenge came when my wireless connection died about 1/4
> > through
> > the file transfer. I shouldn't have trusted the airport to make it through
> > the entire upgrade, but it works so well in day to day activity I didn't
> > suspect there would be a problem. The fix was to walk my laptop downstairs
> > and plug into an RJ-45 port, then restart the upgrade. The "wired"
> > connection was must faster and I should have gone that way in the first
> > place.
> > During the install process dpkg would offer me choices when it found a
> > config file which was different then the newly distributed one. I was not
> > familiar with this process and found it very helpful. By selecting a (D)iff
> > I could see the differences between the files and make the decision with
> > more than my fleeting memory to guide me. Either way you decide, the unused
> > version of the file is saved so you can change your mind later.
> > My next challenge came after the install was complete and I rebooted the
> > system. I use encrypted home/swap & tmp directories. Setting this up in
> > Dapper was easy with the cryptsetup and the /etc/crypttab files. In Dapper
> > during the boot process you get a command level prompt asking for the
> > password to the encrypted volumes. In Edgy, the GUI boot process does not
> > switch back to the command prompt and so the encrypted drives are not
> > mounted. This causes all kinds of havoc when the system cannot find the
> > swap drive.
> > I found the solution to this problem after reading the comments for bug
> > #62751, "https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/62751". If you have encrypted
> > volumes, this will be an issue and you should spend a bit of time reading
> > the notes before attempting to upgrade. I applied one of the patches
> > against the cryptdisks.functions script and was able to continue. I will
> > continue to evaluate this issue. Be sure to copy the cryptdisks.functions
> > to something like cryptdisks.functions.orig before applying the patch.
> > The last issue I had was more of an inconvenience than an issue. X was
> > up
> > and working but the colors were pretty weird, usable, but weird. After
> > referring back to the upgrade guide
> > "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades", I reconfigured the
> > Xorgserver with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". I had switched to VT1
> > to perform the reconfigure and was expecting to restart X, but when I
> > switched back the colors were back to normal.
> > Anyway that is my list of surprises & dumb mistakes. I hope it is of
> > some
> > help to the future upgraders. Aside from the CryptSetup issue, this has
> > been one of the easiest upgrades I have ever had. If possible take backups
> > and have an extra computer available for looking up errors, bugs and most
> > importantly FIXES.
Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: