ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: evolution exchange connector

Subject: Re: evolution exchange connector
From: Russell Cook
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:19:12 +1100
Sorry Mike this is now beyond my expertise ;-(

If evolution --force-shutdown fails then I'd try
sudo kill -9 30998 31010
to force shutdown of the evolution related processes. Then try again.

Something that may also help is to do evolution --component=mail
Sometimes when it gets confused on Task, addressbook or Calendar modes, forcing a start in mail mode allows you to recover.

Good luck.
Russ

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 15:41 +0200, Mike Kenny wrote:
Russel,

thanks for the offer to help. I have not yet had a chance to reboot, but I have noticed some evolution process running in the background -

mkenny   30998     1  0 15:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-dat a-server-1.4 --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataServer_InterfaceCheck  --oaf-ior-fd=53
mkenny   31010     1  0 15:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/evolution/2.4/evolution -alarm-notify --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Calendar_AlarmNotify_Fac tory:2.4 --oaf-ior-fd=57

killing these and restarting still fails. evolution --force-shutdown also fails.
Executing from the command line outputs -

adding hook target 'source'

(evolution-2.4:31103): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

None of which means anything to me. If you can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

On 2/13/06, Russell Cook <bike_oz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mike
I haven't worked at an exchagne site for a few months now. But intermittently my evolution also used to die. Does it work if you reboot? If so, "evolution --force-shutdown" from a terminal kills all the component processes of evolution  and allows a restart of the app.

If it's more complicated than this, we'd need you to run evolution from the command line and report any errors to hope to get a clue on the problem.

Russ

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:16 +0200, Mike Kenny wrote:
I have been happily (ecstatically?) using Ubuntu 5.10 as my desktop environment for the last few week. As my employer is predominantly a M$ shop I must intereact with Exchange so I have been using evolution 2.4.1 as as supplied with Ubuntu as my mail client and groupware agent. This morning when I tried to start up evolution I receive an error box informing me that 'The Application "evolution-exchange-storage" has quit unexpectedly.' and I am unable to continue. i.e. evolution starts but I can't access any functionality that requires this connector.

Has anyone else encounter this problem? Did you manage to discover the cause? And the solution?

As an aside I tried to follow the link to report the problem to the developers, but a) this didn't provide an option to report against the exchange connector and b) it only allowed for version up to 1.5.9 of evolution. Is this facility still in use?

TIA

Mike

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au