ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Convert from AMD64 to i386

Subject: Re: Convert from AMD64 to i386
From: Sasha Tsykin
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:02:55 +1100
Billy Verreynne (JW) wrote:
Sasha Tsykin wrote:

it will run well, but at just a bit more than half the speed.

Calling an o/s that runs (crawls?) at half-speed as running well.. we
have different definitions as to what running well means. Putting a VW
Beetle engine into a Ferrari... [shakes head in disbelief]
Not at all. 64-bit is much faster, but in standard use (internet, email, word processing, etc.) the extra speed is totally unnecessary and goes unnoticed. It's slightly less responsive, but that's it (in my experience) and even this is very anecdotal. I do not have timings to back this up. Even the weakest computers being sold today are more than powerful enough to cope with almost everything you might throw at them. The extra speed will only come into play with very CPU intensive programs.
No it's not, for many users, flash and codecs are fundamental.

Fundamental? vi is fundamental. ssh is fundamental. IPtables is
fundamental. Calling Flash that...? Flash is overrated. The name says
it all. Flash and bling before content.
Not at all. It can be very useful. Especially if you visit a lot of websites which use flash. However, I am not going to argue about it with you, as it is clearly a matter of opinion. In daily use, many people (probably most) would rate Flash much higher than the rest, because they have simply never heard of it.
Mplayer (using XMMS as front-end) works just fine for me in the codec
department.

hard in Ubuntu because all debian derived distros use a non-standard

library layout for 32- and 64- libraries. Most distribution place
32-bit
libraries in /usr/lib and 64-bit libraries in /usr/lib64. In ubuntu
/usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64 are used with symlinks to /usr/lib (I
think,
somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Oh no.. not so nice. Still, using LD_LIBRAY_PATH should assist the
dynamic load linker to make sense of it.
yeah, and I do use that, but it is far beyond the level of complexity the vast majority of users would like to encounter when they use their computer. They certainly do not want to have to set environment variables manually. They want everything to "just work."

--
Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF

I would suggest that unless more technical help will be offered, we let this thread die, because it has clearly moved beyond the scope of this mailing list. If you would like to continue it, I would be happy to, in private, or on the Sounder list.

Best of wishes,

Sasha