ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Perl problems

Subject: Re: Perl problems
From: Alfred Vahau
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:27:50 +1000
If the file is executable, try

./secede2.pl (Note the period before the /)

Alfred,

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:52:24PM -0400, Joe Wamsley wrote:

At the shell I type secede2.pl names.txt (note:both files are together
in the same directory) and it gives me an error message saying "bash:
secede2.pl: command not found" I also tried removing the #! to see if
that worked and no luck. The only way it will run is by typing perl
secede2.pl names.txt. Any other ideas on what I can try or is this
something I will just have to deal with.

Is the script executable? Do an

ls -la secede2.pl

The results should look like so:

(21:58) slaniel@TheloniousMonk:~/test$ ls -la secede2.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 slaniel slaniel 0 2005-05-11 21:58 secede2.pl

There may be more or fewer 'x's when you list the file, but
there should be at least one.

I'm not sure about your level of expertise, so maybe this is
dumbing down the answer too much. Let me know if I should
adjust the level of my response. :-)