ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Reinstalling fresh

Subject: Re: Reinstalling fresh
From: Ralf
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 06:24:00 +0200
On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 20:02 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> you see the line ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb8, ohci1394, thats not
> ideal.. that means that your firewire device is shared with 2 other
> USB ports... you should look in the bios and see if you can change
> that, and also, run lspci and see what firewire chipset you have...

Sharing IRQs is super-bad, but even having unneeded IRQs isn't ideal,
e.g. do you need the crappy HDA intel device?

Regarding to the shared IRQs, I for example avoid to use to much USB
devices, by using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

You should try hpet, tickless timer, because IRQ handling will become
better:

$ sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
$ sudo chmod g+rw /dev/hpet
$ sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
$ jackd --help
  [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]

- Ralf