ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: [OT] Re: rt kernel

Subject: Re: [OT] Re: rt kernel
From: Ralf
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:30:26 +0200
On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 02:56 -0700, Stefan Schumann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone have any experience with boxes like "MIDI TIMEPIECE"?
> http://www.motu.com/products/midi/mtpav_usb
> http://www.tweakheadz.com/sync_mmc_mtc_smpte.htm
>
> I am wondering if that could help in the quest for sync in a Linux
> environment.
>

> Cheers,
> Stefan :)

Yesno?!

Should the Linux Computer be master or slave?

For example SMPTE only
- as slave librubberband hardly will be able to enable sync by SMPTE ;),
even if you prefer transients ;).
- as master Linux only need to be free from jitter for SMPTE ;).

For example USB MIDI only
- is there jitter regarding to the hardware and or software protocol of
1ms for USB 2.0 in general? Are such short negative or positive delays
audible?

Record a MIDI kick, snare and hi hat of an external sound device at the
same time on an audio track, do it again and play both tracks in unison.

Is there a shift from phasing to an early reflection like effect?

Record the MIDI kick, snare, hi hat from an external device one after
the other (not at the same time) and play them in unison. Is the rhythm
still grooving?

I'm short in time now and I've already written to much mails for today,
so I'll end it here.

I don't know? It depends on too many factors. Some kind of sync is
impossible, but seldom needed. Some kind of sync could be possible, this
depends on jitter and aspiration.