ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: en-US language presumption

Subject: Re: en-US language presumption
From: Paul Sladen
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:42:15 +0100 BST
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Matthew East wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Tollef Fog Heen<tfheen@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > language that the ÂCÂ locale corresponds to is n defined
> I'd have to get the Italian translation team to translate it into
> English first,

Translation is an example of non-convergent discourse:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-convergent_discourse

It is not necessary to be able to actively speak, or write, a human language
in order to be able understand it (passively).

> wouldn't have a clue how to translate it into Chinese.

I fear that this is an epic presumption.  Probably a slur in the process.

Speaking two or three languagues and understanding half-a-dozen more is not
an uncommon trait in the general worldwide population---(although
personally I am a bad example).

        -Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three.  Somewhere, GB.