ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Mono Position Statement

Subject: Re: Mono Position Statement
From: Christopher James Halse Rogers
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:21:11 +1000
On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 14:07 -0400, dan wrote:

> Quite frankly, I dont think C# is what scares people.  I'm not saying
> they're right, but its the mono libraries that essentially
> replicate .net libraries that are not part of the "standard" that are
> the problem.  Like winforms, etc.

As luck would have it, open-source applications *don't* generally make
use of those parts.  Winforms is strictly for ease of porting - it looks
ugly on Linux (and pretty ugly on Windows, too!), and GTK# is generally
quite nice.

In the event that those libraries are subject to a patent claim, we can
(as the Mono project themselves state[1]) (a) work around the patents,
or (b) just drop those libraries.  As none of the applications we have
in our default install use those libraries, this is easy.

[1] http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_Licensing