ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: chkconfig for Debian/Ubuntu

Subject: Re: chkconfig for Debian/Ubuntu
From: "Brandon Holtsclaw"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 03:52:48 -0500
With not seeing your bash script and a limited knowledge of  chkconfig from migrating CentOS ( Redhat EL clone ) boxen at work to Ubuntu I'd offer for you to think about the following things

Ubuntu doesn't use sysv-rc , we now use upstart ( yes upstart has sysv script compatibility but afaik that is only for the transition to native upstart jobs )

Also there is a fundamental difference in the way RH and Debian/Ubuntu handles installed services like apache etc , basically if its installed its meant to be started and running , thats one of the reason for splitting packages so you can install only what you need. Also I dont know if your script takes into account some services are enabled/disabled in /etc/default/*

Like I said I'm not an expert on this subject, nor am asking you not to follow through with it, just giving you something to chew on.

--
Brandon Holtsclaw
brandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 5/23/07, Eric S. Raymond <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm in the process of writing a front-end for update-rc.d with
behavior mimicking the chkconfig(8) utility from Red Hat and IRIX.  As a
Red Hat refugee, I know I will personally find this a useful tool, and
Googling reveals that "Where can I find chkconfig for Ubuntu?" is
something of a FAQ.

I suspect this script and its man page might belong in sysv-rc
along with update-rc.d.  If so, I'd like to give both to the
sysv-rc maintainers.  If it belongs elsewhere, I'd appreciate
a redirect to the apropriate package maintainers.

(The script is written in pure bash; I expect it to top out at
less than 200 lines.  The man page is significantly improved
over the Red Hat version.)
--

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".
        -- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do Until The Revolution"