ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Subject: Re: Mono required by ubuntu-desktop
From: Matt Palmer
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:44:55 +1000
On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 12:38:02AM +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> All in all you are likely to lose users if this trend continues.

Someone's always going to be unhappy with a decision.  Threatening that
unspecified users *might* use something else isn't much of a threat.

> The optimal solution is to have the defaul work well on as many machines
> as possible and let more greedy apps be optional. These include evolution
> (thunderbird is lighter) , OOO (abiword is lighter) and a few others.

Xorg (VTs are lighter).

> Perhaps make Ubuntu-Desktop only depend on core apps and not more exotic
> stuff like photo management.

"The Desktop" is a fully functional, feature-rich, ready-to-use,
newbie-friendly system.  I think that's one of Ubuntu's strengths -- that a
desktop install gives you something ready-to-use, out of the box.  If you'd
like something more trimmed down, then feel free to engineer it.  It's not
that hard.

- Matt