ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: FeatureSpecification: apt-third-party

Subject: Re: FeatureSpecification: apt-third-party
From: John Nilsson
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 05:30:20 +0200
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 20:03 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> The installed software should track updates from the ISV
> automatically and integrate into the existing infrastructure.

Would there be room in this project for single user installs (i.e.
non-root, installed in ${HOME}).

I recently got quite frustrated by how hard it was to use rubygems on
Ubuntu. This is the three choices I saw:

1. You use the packaged gems and lose all the flexibility of rubygems.
2  You use gem as a system wide manager for rubygems and thus losing the
comfort of knowing that apt/dpkg is in control over the system.
3. You use gem as a ${HOME}-isolated installation, thus gaining maximum
flexibility and having somewhat more control over the system.

it would be great with a fourth alternative:

4. Use an apt-plug-in for rubygems to handle installation of files in
${HOME}

I also have Azureus, Eclipse and some other apps installed in
${HOME}/opt so that I can use their update features (which handle booth
core updates and plug-in updates).

If all these cases could be solved with a single system that would be
great.

But this may be completely orthogonal to your project.

Regards,
John