ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Proper backport selection hierarchy

Subject: Proper backport selection hierarchy
From: Shot - Piotr Szotkowski
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:56:54 +0200
Hello.

// Excuse me for (probably) wasting your time, but
// I'd like to make sure I get it more or less right.

There are times when a version of a package is required (be it for new
features, non-critical bug fixes or anything else) that is newer than
the one in stable repository (say: Hoary's). Assuming that I'm aware of
all the ramifications of using backports - Is the following the proper
hierarchy of selecting the backport sources, or at least a sane one?

1. If a required version is at Ubuntu Backports,
   get it from there (example: wesnoth 0.9.1).

2. If a required version is not at Ubuntu Backports, but is in Breezy,
   get the sources from there and try to rebuild the package (example:
   subversion 1.2.0).

3. If a required version is not at Ubuntu Backports, nor in Breezy,
   get the sources from Debian and try to rebuild the package, checking
   in what ways the earlier versions of source packages differ between
   Debian and Ubuntu (example: trac 0.8.4).

4. If all of the above fail, build from source and put outside
   of dpkg's territory, most probably in /opt (example: PHP 5).

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
      I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.   -- Isaac Asimov
====================== http://shot.pl/hovercraft/ === http://shot.pl/1/125/ ===