ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Announcing security hardened kernels for testing

Subject: Re: Announcing security hardened kernels for testing
From: Mike Hearn
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:54:16 +0000
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:07:24 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> The community can
> adjust to PaX easily; but the software won't magically adjust to be
> better just because the community uses it.

You say that as if the community *enjoys* rewriting large amounts of
perfectly acceptable code and constantly answering "Help my game
disappears as soon as I click Play" type questions. If you're willing to
deal with the aftermath of breaking such a fundamental API then that's
fine but please don't make the rest of us do it ...

I think PaX belongs in a custom Hardened Ubuntu type distro, and it'll
work well there. I don't think it belongs in a mainstream desktop
distribution. Sorry.