tcpm@ietf.org

Re: [tcpm] draft-anumita-tcpm-stronger-checksum

Subject: Re: [tcpm] draft-anumita-tcpm-stronger-checksum
From: "Scheffenegger, Richard"
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:39:42 +0100
My understanding was, that it has more to do with the reliability of
your back channel (ACK/SACK dropped on their way to the receiver).

But SACK is not required to have "perfect" state shared between receiver
and sender; if multiple consecutive SACKs are dropped, and due to the
lower number of SACK fields some of that info never comes to the sender,
it might unnecessarily retransmit segments, which the receiver did in
fact already receive properly.

Just an edge issue, really, causing behaviour more like Reno (non-SACK)
retransmissions. But even having just one SACK field should already
serve to conserve much bandwidth (and responsiveness, as fewer RTTs are
necessary to re-send all missing data) over NewReno.

Richard Scheffenegger