taroon-list@redhat.com

Re: Load simulation

Subject: Re: Load simulation
From: Jeff Edwards
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:01:19 -0500
On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:51, Dominic Rivera wrote:
> I havn't seen these posted on this list lateley, the RHEL hardware
> compatibility testing suite:
>
> http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=files
>

> And an updated version for RHEL4:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-051.html
>

> -Dominic
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:43:34 -0500, Figueiredo, Charles
> <charles.figueiredo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >         I was wondering if anyone out there was using some sort of load
> > simulation suite to test RHEL update releases in a development/QA
> > fashion? One can whip up some scripts, I suppose, but just checking if
> > there's a suitable package out there that someone has any experience
> > with.
> >
> >         After the NFS-related fiasco we went through (at some point, an
> > update release started making our busier NFS clients drop like flies),
> > I'd like to introduce some serious load simulation, including process,
> > VM, and I/O (NFS especially) exercises into a development/QA process.
> >
> >         Anyone have some input or suggestions?
> >
> >         Thanks,
> >
> >         -charles.
> >
> > This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It
> > may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
> > you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
> > this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have
> > received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
> > replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from
> > your system. Thank you.
> >

> > --

Anyone following the thread may find this type of tool useful.
http://www.mercury.com/us/products/performance-center/loadrunner/
To quote from the site: "Using limited hardware resources, LoadRunner
emulates hundreds or thousands of concurrent users to put the
application through the rigors of real-life user loads".

Of course this is a different "load" measuring tool than previously
discussed but It may spark a "what else can I do" research path for
someone.

I have no affiliation with this product nor have I used this one.

Regards,

Jeff