[Top] [All Lists]


Subject: Re: RHEL4
From: Tom Sightler
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:35:56 -0500
On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:59 -0800, Aviram Carmi wrote:
> Hi All,
> Got three questions related to upgrading/installing RHEL4:
> Would you upgrade an existing RHEL3 to RHEL4 now? or wait a while for 
> it to stabilize?

I think this is a tough question to answer as it depends on the role the
server plays and how important stability is to you, and how you define
stability for that matter.  It seems many people on the list define
stability as "it runs without crashing for months" but I consider the
stability of the entire operating system important, not just the kernel.

RHEL3 has gone through a lot of growing pains and I think it is only
beginning to approach the point where I can start thinking of it as
stable yet I'm also still finding annoying bugs in core features like

Also, will you be running just basic core apps, or do you need to run
third party applications like Oracle?  RHEL 3 will continue to be a
better supported platform for at least the next year or so for many
third party applications.  I still find applications that suggest RHEL
2.1 even though RHEL3 has been out for over a year.

All of that being said, I've been so dissappointed in the stability of
RHEL3 and was so impressed with RHEL4 during the beta cycle that I've
already upgraded a couple of particularly troublesome production
machines.  So far RHEL4 has been functioning flawlessly in these
environments.  One of these servers runs Oracle 10g and Oracle
Enterprise Manager Grid Control as well as functions as our enterprise
backup system using Netvault.  The throughput improvement we are seeing
on this system is nothing short of impressive and it has so far
functioned flawlessly.  

> If you had a brand new server, would you install RHEL3 and later 
> upgrade to RHEL4? or would you install RHEL4? now? wait a while?

> If I should wait before installing RHEL4, how long? till Update 1?

As conservative as I normally am, and I can hardly believe I am typing
this, at this time I think I would deploy RHEL4, unless some feature
that I really need is not yet functioning on that platform or you need
to run some third party product that is not yet certified on RHEL 4.  

Whatever you decide, good luck, and let us know how it goes.


Taroon-list mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>