taroon-list@redhat.com

strange MySQL problem /var/lib/mysql/ become empty

Subject: strange MySQL problem /var/lib/mysql/ become empty
From: Leuy Eeelyu
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:32:21 -0800 PST
Hi.  I have very strange MySQL problem in RHEL. I used
to use command line MySQL monitor and MySQLCC to
access MySQL. But I thought of installing phpmyadmin,
because of that, it prompt me to install php-mysql as
the software require it. But after installation, I
found I can't access MySQL using command line anymore

"linux# mysql -u root -p
password:
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

But STRANGE thing is I can still reconnect using
MySQLCC and do whatever I want

and I found my /var/lib/mysql become empty. How to
solve it? I tried to copy /var/lib/mysql/ from another
MySQL server but the mysql.sock cannot be copied as it
is srwxrwxrwx.

What should I do ???