taroon-list@redhat.com

Re: best way to keep AS3 up to date?

Subject: Re: best way to keep AS3 up to date?
From: Joshua Jensen
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:50:46 -0500
What I want is a simply way to sync all packages from a given channel.
I want all versions of all package for an RHN channel to be downloaded
to a directory of my choosing.  rsync would be too easy of course... and
I don't want to wait for three months to get yesterday's errata from the
update ISOs.  I want a sync-from-RHN script that I can run overnight and
be assured that I have everything the next morning.  Has anyone written
anything that will point up2date at a channel and query for all
packages... then download them all?

Is there an rsync version that speaks xml-rpc?  ;-)

Joshua

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 01:02:33AM -0500, Tom Sightler wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 03:59 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > If all those people in this thread would use their time helping to find a
> > solution, we would already have something right now that works well.
>
> Well, I thought about that, but I can't really figure out what these
> guys actually want.  There have already been many suggestions with
> examples of how to keep your own repository using scripts or otherwise
> and the response was basically "yeah, but there should be a Redhat
> provided way to do it" or "but then you have to keep a full repository,
> I just want the updates since a given date" etc.
>
> I agree, these things are all doable, with fairly little effort since
> all the API is already there but someone needs to define what they
> really want to do.
>
> > Cursing and/or threatening is generally not a good idea to go forward, so
> > I dare everyone in need for a better tool, to look at up2date's source
> > code and reuse/reimplement something compatible you need. I'd like to add
> > something to Yam, but I do not have the time now, or in the foreseeable
> > future. Hints or code-snippets are very welcome.
>
> Did somebody curse?  I felt some frustration but I didn't see any
> cursing from anyone, maybe I didn't read the thread close enough.
>
> Later,
> Tom
>

> --

Joshua Jensen
joshua@xxxxxxxx
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"