tapestry-user@jakarta.apache.org

Re: newbie binding problem

Subject: Re: newbie binding problem
From: Alan Chandler
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:12:16 +0000
On Thursday 02 March 2006 20:30, matt wear wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm new to tapestry and have been having problems creating a
> simple listing page.  The page lists our companies clients and I keep
> getting a Binding Exception.  If someone could please look at the code
> snippets below and point me in the right direction on this I would very
> much appreciate it.  Thanks.
>
> - Matt
>
> This is the error I get:
> org.apache.tapestry.BindingException
> Unable to update OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
> $ClientList_3@15fea73[ClientList] to
> net.smartblast.model.Client@1a9d205: $ClientList_3.client

I think this means that your @For loop can't bind its value parameter to
"ognl:client"

What you need is ...

> This is a snippet from my ClientList.html: (line 8 is the one causing
> problems).
>
> 8 <tr jwcid="@For" source="ognl:clients" value="ognl:client" element="tr">
> 9 <td><span jwcid="@Insert" value="ognl:client.companyName">company
> name</span></td>
>

> This is a snippet from ClientList.java
>
> public abstract class ClientList extends BasePage
> {
>     @InjectObject("spring:clientService")
>     public abstract ClientService getClientService();

        public abstract Client getClient();  // provide a property for the for
loop
to write its variable to

>     public List getClients()
>     {
>         return getClientService().getClients();
>     }
> }
>
> And finally a snippet from Client.java
>
> public class Client  implements java.io.Serializable
> {
>      private Integer id;
>      private String companyName;
>
>     public String getCompanyName() {
>         return this.companyName;
>     }
>
>     public void setCompanyName(String companyName) {
>         this.companyName = companyName;
>     }
> }

Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
Open Source. It's the difference between trust and antitrust.