tapestry-user@jakarta.apache.org

Re: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in Javaposse po

Subject: Re: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in Javaposse podcast
From: Paul Cantrell
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:07:27 -0600
In theory, establish a clean content / presentation split between HTML and CSS is a pleasing idea.

In practice, it's a bunch of starry-eyed crack-smoking idealism.

My $0.02.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 11:16 PM, Chris Hughes wrote:

I agree with Gavin's sentiment that, in general, you want to do your
presentation work in CSS. However, in order for that to be effective, you
really need to have good mark-up to style.

The edge that I think Tapestry has here is that it makes it easy for me to produce the mark-up, rather than relying on the knowledge/ experience/tastes of the JSF component developer. In order for me to have control over the
mark-up in JSF, I have to write my own components - which seems
unnecessarily complex for what should be a reasonably simple task.

Chris

PS - I'd also recommend the Javaposse podcasts, as they cover some good material. For those that have not listened, it's probably worth stating up-front that the presenters all met each other through developing/ using Sun's Creator product, so there does tend to be some leaning towards JSF...