tapestry-user@jakarta.apache.org
[Top] [All Lists]

RE: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in Javaposse po

Subject: RE: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in Javaposse podcast
From: "albartell"
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:41:30 -0600
Mr Ron,

I am guessing your references to "he" in the email are referring to me. No I
didn't post that just to come out of the corner as you say, nor did I bring
it up to proclaim that "I know a better way" to gain mailing list
popularity. I simply posted because I thought I could add something to the
community. 

Now to get back to what we were talking about. . .

>and demanding clean html from java programmers is IMO not realistic.
I agree completely. For any customer facing website you should NEVER (with
exceptions :-) have a programmer designing the motif. That is more personal
opinion than anything though I am guessing there are creatively talented
programmers out there - I am just not one of them:-) 

The beauty of Tapestry is that you _shouldn't_ be designing the pages but
instead let your creative web designer do that.


Aaron Bartell

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Piterman
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 10:18 AM
To: tapestry-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in
Javaposse podcast

sure thing, but css and html work tight together - the html *must* be very
carefully written to allow the css do his work:

html (structure) + css ( style ) = design

and demanding clean html from java programmers is IMO not realistic.

so, saying that jsf-jsp "templates" made by java programmers is the last
word because all design is made in css, thats a joke. (but a great answer
though - just say css and everybody will listen up, great strategy...). he
surley doesn't believe it, but had to say something to get out of the
corner... ( or, maybe he does believe it because he never used tapestry...
in the past people would also travel by ship, but would never acknowledge
how slow it is until they got the chance to cross the atlantic in a few
hours...)

Cheers,
Ron


albartell wrote:
> That's what I thought too until I saw it on this site an realized how 
> much good css and html could clean up my pages.
> 
> http://www.csszengarden.com/
> 
> We've gotten so used to using tables everywhere that css is seldom 
> thought of as a positioning technology but rather a way to have your 
> fonts and colors all in one place.
> 
> Aaron Bartell
> http://mowyourlawn.com/blog
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Cantrell [mailto:cantrell@xxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 12:07 AM
> To: Tapestry users
> Subject: Re: Gavin King's comment about presentation code and CSS in 
> Javaposse podcast
> 
> In theory, establish a clean content / presentation split between HTML 
> and CSS is a pleasing idea.
> 
> In practice, it's a bunch of starry-eyed crack-smoking idealism.
> 
> My $0.02.
> 
> P
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tapestry-user-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tapestry-user-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tapestry-user-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>