Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?

Subject: Re: Tapestry will be the Sony Betamax? JSF the VHS? Strategy?
From: "Vjeran Marcinko"
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:59:20 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vince Marco" <[email protected]>
To: "Tapestry users" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:29 AM

> And I'll say it again, incompatibility with Portals which are based
> upon JSPs is a serious concern.  Not all sites are portals, but a
> significant number of enterprise projects are, and nobody in the
> enterprise space wants to limit their ability to be deployed into a
> Portal downstream.  JSR-168 support is very much needed.

Hmmm.... I don't know if it's area where I'm working in or what, but people
rarely mention Portlet API, let alone using it... But since I don't know
much about world-wide movements, I hope you're right.
Actually, it was one of my diappointments when I've seen Howard spending his
too valuable time on this feature (although I was happy for him that someone
is founding him for that) knowing that it does not simplify anything, or add
new needed feature, but merely enables it to work in some special
environments (Portlet containers), merely for companies that has such policy
or tools that require that. Supporting Portlet API, as generally supporting
any API out there, brings constraints to any piece of software, thus making
it less flexible for changes. And seeing how much things he had to rip apart
to implement this one, and how much time he spent on this, I cannot get away
from feeling that lots of other important improvements (unified form
validation, client side persistence, proper Tapestry Component Repository,
documentation...) could be already finished till now.

And a bit of teaser at the end - Tapestry was praising itself that it's moto
is - "Results, not standards". Akhm... isn't Portlet API a standard? I like
when you worry only how to make some technology better, and not feel burden
of having to support some old-fashioned specifications.  But as I said, I'm
not so familiar with everything going on in this industry, thus I hope that
this Portlet support will turn out to be really useful.

Cheers,
Vjeran

For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]