sdl@lists.libsdl.org

Re: [SDL] "Gauntlet" engine

Subject: Re: [SDL] "Gauntlet" engine
From: Donny Viszneki
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:21:15 -0500
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:48:27PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> Last night, in ~500 lines of totally uncommented code, using a plain
>> ASCII text file for a map, and using different colored SDL_FillRect()s for
>> the different shapes/monsters, I whipped together a basic 1-player
>> implementation of a 'Gauntlet/Dandy engine'. :)
>
> BTW - The map is a cellular automata (like Conway's 'Game of Life').
> Everything except the player and the 'arrows' you shoot are stored directly
> in the map (and I'm thinking the arrows should be stored too, maybe).

Quite CPU hungry probably for the reason of a naive CA implementation,
but very amusing! I love how the bad guys (if I am interpreting the
meanings of these colored squares correctly) are kind of dark and hard
to see! I am very tempted to add some old school synthesizer sound
effects!

--
http://codebad.com/