sdl@lists.libsdl.org

Re: [SDL] iPhone SDK <-> SDL License

Subject: Re: [SDL] iPhone SDK <-> SDL License
From: Sam Lantinga
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:45:35 -0700
> What do i have to make sure (SDL License wise), to be able to eventually
> distribute my iPhone Application on the App Store.

> This is my assumptions:
> - I have to link to SDL as a shared object.
> - I have to let the user know that i'm using the SDL library.

These are the normal rules for linking under the LGPL.

Unfortunately, the Apple iPhone developer agreement specifically prevents
you from dynamic linking to frameworks and dynamically loading object code.
Thus, as far as I can tell, unless you release the source for your program
there is no way to comply with the LGPL.

However, I am currently in the process of forming a small company to handle
commercial SDL licensing.  The license gives you the standard rights to use
the SDL library in your application.  The cost covers a single product
across all supported platforms, with discount pricing for multiple products
available.

This license is only available for SDL 1.3 and newer, and all contributors
to the SDL 1.3 code must allow me to redistribute their changes under both
the LGPL and the alternative commercial license.

Please send me private e-mail if you're interested in pricing and more
information.

See ya!
        -Sam Lantinga, Lead Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment