sci.electronics.basics

240V relay contact suppression

Subject: 240V relay contact suppression
From: "MarkMc"
Date: 21 Aug 2006 11:02:55 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
Hi

I'm using a relay with 240VAC coil and 240VAC contacts.  From what I've
been advised before with relays (not 240VAC), I understand it's a good
idea to protect the contacts with a capacitor and possibly a MOV like
below;

Is this required for AC and is it a good idea to have a MOV?

Also, I assume I need do nothing on the coil side, seeing as it's AC?
Normally, I'd expect a reverse biased diode in there somewhere.

Regards,
Mark

                                 240VAC(in)
                               o           o