sci.electronics.basics

Re: Stranding?

Subject: Re: Stranding?
From: "Michael A. Terrell"
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:04:05 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
John Riley wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > John Riley wrote:
> >>
> >> I always thought a "mil" was one thousandth of a litre. Short for
> >> millilitre.
> >> Our Bureau of Meteorology once chipped a weather reporter for using
> >> "mils" for millimetres of rain.
> >

> >   A "mil" is one thousandth of whatever.
>
> No, thats "milli-" for one thousandth. It's actually from the Latin.
>
> > Its the way fractional inch
> > measurements are made in the US.
>
> How very confusing for you. You have never worked in a scientific
> laboratory? There, a "mil" is ONLY used for ml, or millilitre, one
> thousandth of a litre.
> Calling things "a thousandth" must be akin to saying, "look at that
> 'brown' over there" ( referring to the brown cow, brown pig, brown
> field....   )
>
> > Its not my fault that you're stuck
> > with that mind numbingly poor French system.
>
> As I said, milli comes from the Latin for one thousand.
> We are not stuck, we chose. Yourself?
> What is your hangup with the French?
>
> Just an simple example. You find a roll of unlabelled builders wire
> with lots of strands and you have a vernier caliper handy, how can you
> determine the size of the cable? My way is simple. Measure the
> diameter of a strand, count the strands, and do a small calculation.
> Do you not need a bunch of tables? And what is more mind numbing than
> the silly old SWG (British, that you copied and we ditched ages ago)
> where the size goes up and the number goes down, with no direct
> correlation?

   You have no idea about my background.  The term "Mil" has been in use
in the US for a long time, even before electricity was available, and
needed wiring.  It is is used in figuring tax levels.  A "Mil" is one
tenth of a cent.  Like I said, we aren't handicapped by the metric
system.  We use it where we need to, but no one who lives outside the US
has any business telling us what to do with our internal standards.
Next, I'm sure that you'll tell me that no one outside the US will by
anything with SAE hardware?  I worked on over a half million dollars of
Telemetry electronics sold to the Italian government that was all SAE.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida