sci.electronics.basics

Re: etchant stir

Subject: Re: etchant stir
From: "James Thompson"
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:22:14 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
"James Beck" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:MPG.1ef0ae26a63c5789989cb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In article <2464a$4485ebef$438c8034$9639@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jamesthompson2002
> @hotmail.com says...
>> I came up with probably an old scheme but simple enough to circulate
>> etchant
>> in a pcb tank.
>>
>> Start with a plastic soda cap, snip the edges of it to make fins. Then
>> use
>> silicone sealant to glue a small magnet inside the cap. Cap sits on
>> bottom
>> of tank, then.
>> Affix another magnet to the shaft of a small dc motor mounted in a
>> standoff
>> base for your tank and directly under the cap.  As motor spins, so does
>> cap
>> and etching solution.  Simple enough you think?
>>
> I used an aquarium air pump and a bubble wand to keep things moving back
> in the day.
>
>                                Jim

Yes, the bubble wand is ok but it also causes a mist to rise from the tank.
I knew of the chemistry lab stir and it is what I wanted to duplicate for a
DIY etchant tank stir, to eliminate as much misting of etchant as possible.
I'm just doing a small tank as of now to see how well it works out.  I have
seen a few post talking about a pump for the etchant tanks and wanted to
share my approach to it.  JTT...