sci.electronics.basics

Re: 10-inch-diameter speakers

Subject: Re: 10-inch-diameter speakers
From: Ben Bradley
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 04:40:57 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics, sci.electronics.design
On 31 May 2006 00:46:07 -0700, epiang@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Richard Henry wrote:
>
>> > How would I know if my receiver's happy with 4 ohms?  Is lack of smoke
>> > a good indication?  ;)
>>
>> Take your 2 8-ohm speakers and connect them in parallel across one of the
>> outputs.  Do you get good sound?  Even when it's turned all the way up?
>>
>> Now try the other channel.
>
>No can do... the receiver won't run *any* speakers unless *both* left
>and right speaker are connected.  (I wonder why they designed the
>receiver that way...)

   Does the receiver have connections for two sets of speakers? Is
there a speaker selector rotary dial on front (often ntegrated with a
power switch) or two pushbuttons that select speaker A or speaker B or
both? It's likely set on both, which likely put the speakers in
series, making two 8 ohm speakers into a 16 ohm load, vs. putting them
in parallel which would make a 4 ohm load.

>But I'm sure I was missing the point of your reply.  Are you saying the
>sound might sound funny at higher volumes when powering a 4-ohm
>speaker?

   It might start sounding funny if the output transistors start
overheating.