sci.electronics.basics

Re: strange TV behavior... any thoughts?

Subject: Re: strange TV behavior... any thoughts?
Date: 13 Jun 2006 08:35:49 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
Pooh Bear wrote:
> mrdarrett@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Pooh Bear wrote:

> > > Maybe the circuit that turns the degaussing coil off is misbehaving ?
> > > Sometimes
> > > it's just a ptc. Is the tv on-off switch really on-off or standby-on ?
> > >
> > > Graham
> >
> > Standby-on, I think.  Remote control.  It's a newer Panasonic, had the
> > year "2001" stamped on the rear...
>
> Of that age it would be very unlikely not to be standy-on. There is sometimes
> 'hard' power switch too. My JVC has one for example. Cycling the power via
> the 'hard'
> switch may help fix odd behaviour.
>
> I can't fathom your spinning meter though. I think you must have another load
> you
> forgot to consider.
>
> Graham

The only other major load I can think of was the washing machine.  At
the time, the machine was simply filling with water (not spinning).

I'll check the meter while the washing machine is running again.
Perhaps the solenoid valves consume a lot of current when open...?

Kids were watching TV in the living room (27" TV), but like someone
said, no way this could cause the meter to "spin like a top"...

Thanks all,

Michael