sci.electronics.basics

Re: Fluorescent Lights: Troubleshooting and other questions

Subject: Re: Fluorescent Lights: Troubleshooting and other questions
Date: 10 Jun 2006 16:55:22 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
Don Klipstein wrote:
> Any ballast manufacturer designing a ballast likely
> to be used in commercial buildings I consider incompetent if the ballast
> is unable to survive working with a burned out bulb for months.

Yep - actually, theoretically a fluorescent tube doesn't have
resistance (more than a piece of wire has), it just causes some voltage
drop. So virtually, the ballast should survive from driving as shorted
as well...

For OP: It isn't virtually possible. Of course it is, but  it's very
unlikely - just like the Don said (ballast damage). When a tube is
burned out, just replace it and try, if it starts, it's ok, if not,
replace the starter, then it should be ok :-)