sci.electronics.basics

Re: Wht is 7400 series and 741 ?

Subject: Re: Wht is 7400 series and 741 ?
From: John Popelish
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:20:54 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
WAZ wrote:
In exame my sir asked me why in logic gates IC no. Starts with 74 , not
12 or 23 or somthing like that? Plese give me answer.
NAND 7400
And in Op-Amp why it is 741? plesae tell me.

The logic that starts with the number 74 are all parts in the TTL (transistor-transistor-logic) family, that have compatible input and output signals. This family is further subdivided into groups, based on improvements in chip technology that either lowered the supply current or increased the speed, or both. The 74L family uses less current. The 74S series uses more current, but is much faster, because of the addition of Schottky diode feedback that prevents transistor saturation. The 74LS family is a compromise that uses the Schottky diodes but lowered the supply current. The 74F series was a much faster chip process, etc.

The opamp named 741 just got a number that was an arbitrary choice, and has nothing to do with the 74 logic family.