sci.electronics.basics

Re: Antennas

Subject: Re: Antennas
Date: 25 May 2006 12:44:13 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
Kit wrote:
> Good, I think I am starting to understand this a little. But how can
> the AC current in the antenna be at say 550 Hz and 570 Hz at the same
> time?

It's no different than with any conductor.

If your stereo speakers are playing several notes at the same
time, this means that the voltage across the terminals and the
charges inside the wires are *not* vibrating back and forth
in a sine wave.   Instead several sine-wave motions are being
added together.

If you connect several different signal generator outputs to
your oscilloscope, you can see what such a composite signal
would look like.

On an antenna we can either imagine that there are several
separate signals having different frequencies.  Or we can
imagine that there is just one current/voltage signal, but it's
a sum of many sinewaves of different frequencies.

William J. Beaty          Research Engineer
beaty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
billb@xxxxxxxxxx          Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700
ph425-222-5066            http//staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/