sci.electronics.basics

Re: linear vs. audio resistors

Subject: Re: linear vs. audio resistors
From: John Popelish
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 01:28:07 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
ron mccann wrote:
First post. I am working through a Heathkit power/wave generator. There are two rheostats both labeled 100k. One is supposed to be linear the other an audio resistor. They seem to act the same with a basic digital vom. Does anyone know what these two terms are referring to? I'll try there support line on monday, but I'd rather be soldering today.
thanks for any thoughts.
The adjectives refer to how the resistance changes with wiper
position. Try setting them both at about middle position, and compare
the resistance from each end to the wiper.
Since your ear is sensitive to small energies, and becomes
progressively less sensitive to increases as the energy gets larger,
pots designed to vary volume sneak the signal up slowly near the fully
counter clockwise direction (when they are connected as a tapped
voltage divider) and increase the signal much faster near the fully
clockwise end of rotation, so you perceive a fairly smooth increase in
volume for both quiet and loud sounds.
See:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm