sci.electronics.basics

Re: Controllers

Subject: Re: Controllers
From: "Chris"
Date: 11 Apr 2006 03:33:47 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.basics
Valkerie wrote:
> I am looking for Schematics and/or Partlists for Microcontrollers. I am
> planning on building a Explorer type Robot that will be able roam over
> rough terrain. All I need is the Sechamtics and some help programming
> the controllers
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Val.  Microcontrollers are pretty much one part now.  You get the
IC, plug it into a protoboard with an oscillator (some even have that
built in), and you're good to go.

For a newbie, you can't to better than the BASIC Stamp.  It's based on
the PIC, the world's most common microcontroller IC.  You can program
it in a simple interpreted BASIC which is incredibly easy for a newbie
to learn.  You just load the programming software into your PC, plug
the Stamp into your serial port, and you're good to go.

If you've got a few bucks for your project, get the BASIC Stamp Board
of Education project kit.  It has a Stamp, an interface board with a
small protoboard, and just about everything you'll need (including
software) to get a small robot going.  Actually, they also make a robot
kit called the BOE-bot, a small rolling robot that carries the B of E
onboard.  It's kind of cute.

Feel free to provide more information or post again if you've got a
more specific question.  BASIC Stamps do have limitations, especially
limited program space.

Good luck
Chris