sci.cognitive

Re: mathematacs of emotional expression

Subject: Re: mathematacs of emotional expression
Date: 10 Aug 2006 14:46:01 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.cognitive, comp.ai.philosophy, rec.arts.fine
glanceble wrote:

>Without any detailed knowledge of the painter I would suggest
>that in the general case, an artist can be experimenting, as were
>many Impressionists. The composite of his work around the
>sky may have suggested this to him, rather than there being some
>deep intellectual basis. Sort of painterly exploration. Maybe
>the same as Pollock's dripping.

guess so, thickened oil paint sorta lends itself to
being sculpted by a palette knife, to me his work asks
to be touched, its the texture of the paint....make for an
interesting wax rubbing or textile?....tho I wouldn't fancy
my chances with the museum staff around :)

>How this was connected [by the originator of the thread]with
>German Expressionism is a puzzle for me.

I suppose its the concept that a mathematical theory might
be seriously used as a diagnostic tool to assess a human
state of mind. Ok, we can all fill in a form if you like,
but the thought of machine code, AI, conducting an
assessment without the human intervention is appalling.
Peoples expressive abilities expand the more experience
they have within their chosen area of interest, and what
value has 'feeling' in the programming of such a tool?
There must be many math theories that can be applied in
the analysis of a 2D surface, and what would it prove in
the end? style 2008 is different from style 2006, therefore
the originator of this canvas has gone insane?

For instance, aesthe...@xxxxxxxxxxx's thread  "Empathetic
art changes to suit mood of viewer", the programmers didnt
say they had developed a feedback tool that may be put to
positive use, eg modify expressive behaviour (probably
because they accept theres no way of knowing absolutely
what significance color has for those who have an option
to use the programme, "hey I like red today, it makes me
feel positive :)...oooops! I've associated it with a
miserable expression :( "

Niki

---------

ps. Its been really kind of you reading my posts :)
I couldn't resist reading up a little more on Van Gogh,
Bye.N.

http://www.aiwaz.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=34
Durers Melencholia;
has the fabric folds, a rainbow (scattered light) and refers
to depression.....could this have influenced his compositional
arrangement? I don't recall Van Gogh as being interested in
mathematics (maybe he was?)but he would have known the work
of Durer and there are some good clues there.

http://www.princeton.edu/~his291/Durer_Melancolia.html
'Durer's icon of Melancholy portrays the dangers of obsessive
study. Note the many symbols of mathematics and alchemy.'